Celery’s Health Benefits
• Celery is especially rich in the phytocompounds currently under study for preventing or treating several forms of cancer, multiple sclerosis, allergies, neurogenerative diseases, as well as improving learning and memory.
• Celery (and celery seed) contain compounds that may lower blood pressure.
• Celery seed has a long history of use as a healing herb. It has been known for treating his gout. They suggest steeping 1 teaspoon of freshly ground celery seeds in 1 cup of boiling water, and drinking it.
• Research has shown an extract of celery in skin preparations repels mosquitoes as effectively as 25 percent.
• Alcohol extracts of celery seed may protect the liver from damaging substances.
To preserve its phytonutrients, refrigerate celery and use within a week or so of purchase or harvest, chop just before using, and steam lightly or roast rather than boil.